“I feel so relaxed…everything seems manageable again” – words of a participant at the end of a Communication Dojo workshop
Phone: 415 694 8798
Who can benefit?
You will benefit from attending the Communication Dojo if you are looking for:
- greater harmony and connection with your partner
- communication in your next relationship to be very different from your last one
- easier relationships with your family members
- less conflict, more connection in all areas of your life
- a reduction in stress and background anxiety
Why did I create the Communication Dojo?
When I ask people how to start an argument I always get lots of suggestions. Blame, criticism, judgment, demands, threats, unrequested advice giving, telling others that what they’re saying is unimportant or wrong – the list seems endless, and it seems we all learned how to perfect these skills at an early age!
When I ask about communication difficulties that simply reduce enjoyment of life I get lots of suggestions too. Difficulty saying or hearing “No,” reluctance asking for what you want, problems saying “Sorry,” “Goodbye,” or “I love you,” to name just a few.
And there are so many other areas where communication difficulties lead to annoyance, frustration, anger and other painful emotions: “We love each other but we bicker a lot and it’s very frustrating” or “My bosses never ask my opinion even though I bring in more business than anyone else on the team” or “My brother seems to be angry all the time and I don’t know how to talk to him.”
Honest, effective, and harmonious approaches to communication are possible in all of these situations.
What can you expect?
- The “Connected Conversation Process.” This quick-to-learn conversational process can be used to increase connection IMMEDIATELYin real conversations with willing friends, family members, or others
- A learning model that allows you to add new skills and awareness at a pace that works for you
- A systematic yet flexible approach to communication
- Expert teaching designed for all learning styles
- Confidence-building conflict resolution skills
- A community of people who are also committed to increasing peace in their relationships, and within themselves
The Communication Dojo method is inspired by the teachings of Dr. Marshall Rosenberg, International Peacemaker and Founder of the “Center for Nonviolent Communication.” You may have heard of his work under other names, includng “Authentic Communication,” “Productive Communication,” “Compassionate Communication,” and, the name used at the Communication Dojo, “Connected Communication.”
Why the name “Dojo”?
Another source of inspiration for the Communication Dojo approach is the martial art aikido, sometimes called “the art of peace.” Aikido is practiced in a space called a “dojo.” Aikido practitioners learn to respond to attacking energy in such a way that no harm comes to themselves, or the attacker. At the Communication Dojo you will learn and practice a similar response to “verbal attack.”
Other similarities between an aikido dojo and the Communication Dojo is the use of practice in pairs — simulating difficult communication in a safe environment so that you are able to respond peacefully and powerfully in the often chaotic and fast-moving circumstances of real life.
Who is Newt Bailey?
I’m a mediator and communication coach, trained by John Kinyon, co-founder of the Bay Area Nonviolent Communication Center. I provide training on how to create Exceptional Workplace Communication in organizations and companies, and also help couples, and individuals, who are experiencing conflict and communication difficulties at home.